Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"Home is Where the Heart Lies"

For my English course I stumbled on a short story, that definitely turned a new page in my blog. The story is written by well known Canadian author, Margaret Laurence entitled-Where the World Began. She discusses why she loves her home town in lieu of living in other beautiful places of the world. Some Canadians dismiss her home town as "dull, bleak, uninteresting and flat." ( Nows the time you wake up!).

She concludes, "I'm not a very patriotic, in the usual meaning of the word. I cannot say My country right or wrong in any political, social or literary context. But one things is inalterable, for better or worse, for life. This is where my world began. A world which includes the ancestors-both my own and other people's ancestors who became mine. A world which formed me ad continues to do so...A world which gave me my lifework to do, because it was here that I learned the sight of my own eyes."

Before I get to my point, I have a confession. Yes, I had heart touching moment. Yes, I stood by the quote (for most of the day in fact), saying to myself life in Canada is great. My home will always be South Africa.

At first glance I could annotate these three words: Proudly South African. That sentiment, for all its worth holds no value.A song entitled Homesick- by Mercy Me sums up my post for the week:

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

In Christ, there are no goodbye
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

Our true home is heaven. Under one banner with my Brothers and Sisters in Christ I want to Praise my King. His death has formed my world. His blood was the ransom for many. The sight of Calvary's Cross demands my heart. I guess, "I've never been more homesick than now..."
-Lloyd

1 comment:

Scott said...

Amen brother!