Friday, August 14, 2009

District 9


Great film but it was one those films that not only keep you on the edge but as a South African it was very hard watching while knowing the historical background and contemporary situation. The film is smart in the sense that there we I think, a hybrid of themes the with respect to the apartheid era in South Africa . Without giving anything away, I do think though the average North American will sadly, not grasp the magnitude of the film aside from special effects which were pretty good in my opinion.

On a personal note it was a reminder to an era in South Africa that my parents had to endure growing up for much of their lives. For I was only born at the back end of that period of history. My gratitude is to God for not only for a transformation of country but also for the fine parents I have been given.The sacrifices they have had to make and endure so that I can have the hope of a better life. They lived in a time when opportunities existed to a select few. Education, work opportunities were a priviledge,not a right. I have to make use of the oppotunities God has afforded me.

What left a sour taste, is the contemporary situation. The zenophobic attacks of the last year that targeted foreign immigrants but 15 years on in new a democracy, there are fellow South Africans still living in informal settlements, no housing, electricity and water... a sad reflection on a beautiful country, I call home.

-Lloyd

No comments: