Monday, October 22, 2007

Dealing with Reality-Part 1

So how do I deal with the trauma of a horrific accident? One thing for sure, I should have been killed! Having replays being played out on the road when my parents are driving, when I'm sleeping? After feeling the pain of bruised kidney, blood in urine for the next couple of days, sore right ankle, what's next? Constant pain? My year in perspective: the hospital has been "home" more often than not. I must be so close to being granted VIP status. Is there any hope for me. I can say yes, yes, yes!!! Let me explain:

Since returning home (Sunday evening), I have been reading a book, "Self Confrontation" developed by John C. Broger. An idea presented in the book about anxiety/worry caused by events, have been immensely helpful.

First response to these circumstances of life is: Fear God!
The result of fearing God can bring salvation, wisdom and knowledge etc but reason number 7 stood out for me the most: "that fearing God demonstrates His goodness and loving kindness towards me."

Psalm 103:13, "As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him."

Seeing my life change in a matter of seconds while behind a wheel of a car, really sought of shook me. It also reminded me of mine mortality, but I have do not have to fear death. Jesus rose from the dead!

Romans 6:5-7, "If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin because anyone who has died has been freed from sin."

Lastly,it was hard for me to forgot about a person called Job. His life was changed in a matter of seconds. Fearing God can invoke gratitude about the countless blessings He has provided for you and for me. The bible's description of Job, "blameless,upright; he feared God and shunned evil." It is not hard to see why Job was described as a righteous man. When disaster, knocked on his front door, Job 1:20-22:

"At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

Disasters happen all the time. After the head on collision took place, once I figured I was alive ( I thought at the point of impact I'm dead)! I immediately thanked God. It was only afterwards, when I left the vehicle in pain, shocked and in bewilderment did I truly appreciate the magnitude of this miracle, God spared me. Most people die in head on collisions. Usually, both parties concerned, but in my case no fatalities, just minor injuries!

My question, Do I Lloyd praise God enough? I can say yes when in suffering or disasters. Humbly I'm compelled to say no. What about the good times? C.S. Lewis said, "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." I need to fear Him and praise Him, everyday.

-Lloyd

No comments: