Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Learning and Moving Forward Slowly

I haven't had over the course of a couple months been able to actually sit down and read. Thankfully with a handy iPod Touch I've been able to start reading John Piper's book, Desiring God on bus of all places on the way to school. The central thrust of the book is to seek joy and to find pleasure in God by virtue of who He is. Piper's classic phrase, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him."

He starts the book by quoting the first point of the westminster confessions. "The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

As I'm learning to be utterly reliant on God, to seek all joy and forfillment in Him. I'm beggining to see the insecurities of my heart beggining to fade away. Learning to take refuge in God's Sovereingty and be consumed by His Being. I cannot remember a day in the summer when I have been so excited to be at university. Which happens to be the very source of my anxiety. The worries that usually dominant the start of my day looked periphal as I could take delight in the fact that, "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

I'm learning, moving slowly. The anxiety is there. I feel it physically but by the mercies that God has afforded me I'm starting to discover the invitation of Jesus for the weary and finding my comfort and security in God. So, I'm starting to thirst like the psalmist; "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. (Psalm 42:1)."

-Lloyd

No comments: